There are several key aspects that should be incorporated into your website in order to create a successful website.
The number of websites on the internet is ever growing and it is important that you know how to make yours stand out from the others. Here are a few aspects you should consider in your web design.
One way of ensuring that your website stands out from others is originality. Displaying your products, services or brand in a unique and creative way can help make your website much more memorable.
Consistency is another key factor to consider when creating your website. You should ensure that all of your website’s pages are reflective of your brand identity.
- Colour and Typography – Throughout all pages on your website, you should use the same colours and fonts. Too many different combinations will confuse users and also will make your website less memorable.
- Recognisable – You should ensure that the design of your website is easily recognisable as your brand for someone who is already familiar your brand without looking at the logo. This should be done through colours, imagery, typography etc.
Whilst it is important that your website is original, that doesn’t mean you have to make it over complicated. Too much content and overusing elements will confuse users and make them more likely to quickly click off your website. It is important that users understand how they are meant to interact with your page and that they are able to find what they are looking for with ease. To keep your website simple, your website should have:
- Easy Navigation – Visitors of your website should be able to locate and understand your navigation menu with ease, which will enable them to quickly find the pages that they are looking for.
- Clear Copy – Make sure you avoid using any jargon words that could confuse readers. Instead you should try and use a conversational tone, making it seem like you’re talking directly with the readers.
- Effective Calls to Action – Clear and enticing calls to action will encourage the user to take the actions that you want them to take. However, it is important that you don’t overuse then. Keep it simple in order to maximise their effectiveness
- Make use of Space – Space is a key design tool that you can use to ensure your website is easy to understand and simple. It can help improve readability and create a focus point, drawing the user’s attention to certain text or an image.
In order for your users to want to stay on your website, it has to be user friendly. This aspect is very similar to keeping your website simple. It is important that when designing your website, you should keep your audience who will be using the website in mind. To make your website user friendly, it should have:
- Contrasting Colours – To ensure that all visitors to your website will be able to read your content, use contrasting colours. Most people, even with decent eyesight, struggle to read poor contrast colours.
- Mobile Optimised – Optimising your site for mobile is another key aspect to a successful website. A fast loading mobile website with easily accessible information will encourage users to stay on your website for longer. As well as this, it will benefit your website in terms of SEO, helping your Search Engine Ranking (Read all about Mobile Optimisation here).